This is a combined asset allocation model culminated from Harry Browne, Tony Robbins, Jim Rogers and my own experience. I have excluded most specifics with relation to my personal situation and generalized the plan for the general public. This, in my opinion, is a balanced and safe approach to managing one’s net worth. I am NOT a financial adviser and if you consider anything from below, you should consult with a tax adviser, investment adviser and/or your attorney to see if it is right for you.
- Financial Security: the amount of money that covers food, housing, cars, travel, and basic entertainment.
- Financial Independence: where one doesn’t have to work and everything is covered.
- Financial Freedom: where one doesn’t have to work and EVERYTHING ONE CAN THINK OF is covered.
- Build 24 months of cash reserve in your security bucket
- Have durable Power of Attorney
- Have will & living will & Advanced Medical Directive complete, signed & accessible
- Have a decent amount of life insurance to cover expenses should you die (if needed)
- Have enough medical insurance to cover your needs
- Have Auto, Home & Insurance plus an umbrella liability policy
- Sign up w/ Legal Shield and/or have excellent legal representation & consult a good tax advisor
Example of what to do with your extra income and money received unexpectedly: $1,000 received – put $500 in Security Bucket, $250 in the growth bucket, $185 in the maintenance budget, $65 in the dream bucket. Spend less than you earn and you will have money left over for this plan. Skip the $12 martini and the $6 latte and put that money to work for you the rest of your life.
Reinvest all dividends, profits & non-earned income from the following buckets & distribute the income equally to each bucket.
50% of Assets go into your Security Bucket
This is the place where you put money into investments that are secure by their nature. They won’t give you huge compounded return, but if you do it long enough, even if the initial return is small, in the long run that compounded return grows and is kept secure. Your first investments MUST be put into your security bucket. These assets are either owned Joint Tenants in the Entirety if married, or in another secure, asset protection vehicle such as a trust.
12% of Security Bucket – CASH (equivalent to 24 month’s expenses, though some may only want to have 6 months reserve)
- 20% New Zealand Dollars
- 20% Singapore Dollars
- 20% Swiss Franc
- 20% U.S. Dollars kept in a money market account OR physically in a secure location
- 20% Bitcoin (annonymous, secure, portable)
20% of Security Bucket – Your personal home
5% of Security Bucket – Life Insurance (and make certain you have HSA health insurance covered as well)
63% of Security Budget into your IRA / SEP / Tax Free Retirement Vehicle(s)
- 10% Fixed Income Investments: Corporate Bonds, other taxable but high yielding investments
- 90% Rest in Misc. Investments: Real Estate (REIT or direct), BRK.a or BRK.b
25% of Assets go into your Growth Bucket
These assets should be held in an LLC or other protected vehicle
- 10% Aggressive Growth Mutual Fund(s)
- 20% Real Estate – Direct Investment into commercial, residential or land
- 45% Collectibles: 10% of the 45% in Art / 90% of the 45% in Gold/Silver via Scrap-Coins-Bullion (kept in secure location)
- 25% Your own small business (reap the tax benefits while increasing its value and enjoying its income)
6.5% of Assets go into your Dream Bucket
These assets can be anything from cars, boats, planes, etc.
18.5% of Assets go into your Maintenance Budget/Bucket
This is your maintenance bucket which is to pay ALL of your expenses during the year for when you do not work or for when you retire. This needs to generate income (preferably tax-free) to pay up to at least $X per year in expenses such as food, property taxes, travel, etc, etc.